Saturday, June 4, 2016

WHAT MAKES YOU COME ALIVE?

"Don’t ask yourself what the world needs.  Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs are people who have come alive.
———Gil Bailie

This is the phrase that helped change Eldridge’s life when he was gasping and grasping for purpose!!  

Are you living a script written for you by someone else?  Are you acting a part that someone else wants you to act but your heart is not there?  Can a world of Posers tell you to do anything but pose yourself?  Why listen to them?

Beuchner says, “We are in constant danger of being not actors in the drama of our lives, but reactors, to go where the world takes us, to drift with whatever current is running the strongest.”  It might be a job or your grandchildren or your dream home or your retirement or __________, you fill in the blank.  I have a friend going to the dangerous Middle East……….all for security and retirement bliss.  I was told last week that I needed to have $1.5 million to retire……..total and absolute nonsense……….but the world and others are always wanting you to react from fear…….fear of not having enough $$$, or fame or recognition or comfort or attention…….all selfish stuff but we react to it and believe it all………..All LIES…….a pack of lies from this world 
 
Are you spending most of the energy of your life trying to eliminate or avoid risk?  Most men do!  Many of the people I know and work with and have known for many years are doing all that they can to eliminate the risk of dying poor.  Their lives are consumed with the fear of not having enough money to retire or live a certain lifestyle.  They find security in counting their money.  My Mother certainly did…….spoke of her money often…………loved it and treasured it and was suffocated by it.  Never took a risk with it to help others outside her immediate family and was hell bent on dying rich.  What about dying poor?  What about taking a risk to give until it hurts.  (Mark 8:36)  I met a person recently who is not yet 50 with over a million in savings.  Full of fear that their spouse might leave and they would be less rich.  Searching for purpose outside of Jesus but not knowing what gives security and pleasure.  The money is not enough.  What a wealthy life!!  What a sad life!!

Eldridge is correct when he says………”you can lose your soul, by the way, long before you die.”  And I see and know so many people who have lost their souls………to money, to sex, to greed, to fun and pleasure, to their appearance, etc. and are no where near death.  But is that any way to live?  I have friends who have told me that they are bored in retirement with nothing to do.  Late 50’s with nothing to do……..no one to help or serve or give to???  Bored!???  

But how do you beat boredom?  How do you come alive and seek a life worth living?  You take a risk.  You take an adventure.  If you had permission to do what you really want to do, what would you do?  Forget how.  That’s God’s department.  What is your true heart’s desire?  What gives you great joy and makes you come alive?  I ask these questions of myself because I, like the Author, want "to live freely, animated and motivated by God’s Spirit, not feeding on the compulsions of selfishness.”  

I want to come alive and live life to its fullest.  What about you???


I AM A CHILD OF GOD!

FROM MY MOTHER’S WOMB, YOU HAVE CHOSEN ME.  LOVE HAS CALLED MY NAME.  I’VE BEEN BORN AGAIN INTO A FAMILY.  YOUR BLOOD FLOWS THROUGH MY VEINS.  I’M NO LONGER A SLAVE TO FEAR.  I AM A CHILD OF GOD!  

YOU SPLIT THE SEA SO I COULD WALK RIGHT THROUGH IT!  MY FEARS WERE DROWNED IN PERFECT LOVE.  YOU RESCUED ME SO I COULD STAND AND SING.  I AM A CHILD OF GOD!  

If you can’t worship the Living God to this song, I am not sure it can be done!!!  See below.


No comments:

Post a Comment